Catalog Rights Policy for Undergraduate Degrees
Credit and Grades
Scholarship Regulations
Programs for Outstanding Students


Students who enter UCR as freshmen will normally follow the catalog in effect in their first year of studies. Transfer students who have completed appropriate transfer programs have prior catalog rights. Check with the college dean's office for more information.

Academic Senate Regulation R6.12 states as follows: To be awarded the bachelor's degree, a student must either (a) meet graduation requirements in the UCR catalog in effect in the year of his/her graduation from the Riverside campus; or (b) fulfill graduation requirements in one UCR catalog applicable during any of the previous four years in which the student successfully completed at least one quarter or one semester of full-time college-level work, regardless of where matriculated. Upon applying for candidacy, the student must specify the applicable catalog.


UCR operates under the quarter system. For purposes of transfer credit, units earned under the semester system are converted to quarter units at the time of admission, with 1 semester unit equal to 11/2 quarter units.

At UCR, courses are assigned a unit value determined by the number of hours of work per week required of the student. Specifically, Academic Senate regulations require three hours of work per week for each unit of credit. For example, in a 4-unit course scheduled to meet four hours per week, a student is expected to spend eight hours of preparation outside of class.

Grades in courses are assigned as follows:

Passing: "A" (distinction), "B" (high pass), "C" (pass), "D" (marginal pass). Grade point values per unit are as follows: "A"=4, "B"=3, "C"=2, "D"=1. The grades "A," "B," "C," and "D" may be modified by plus (+) or minus (-) suffixes. Minus grades carry three-tenths grade point less per unit, and plus grades (excluding "A+") carry three-tenths grade point more per unit than unsuffixed grades.

Not passing: "F" (failure). No grade point value.

Incomplete: "I." Units are not charged and grade points are not assigned.

Withdrawal: "W." Course dropped after the third week of classes. Units are not charged and grade points are not assigned.

The grade point average (GPA) is determined by multiplying each grade point value by the number of units assigned to the course, adding up these grade point units, and dividing the total grade point units by the total number of units for which letter grades are received. The grade point balance, also calculated on the transcript, represents the number of grade point units students have earned above or below the GPA required for their degree objective. In the case of undergraduates, it is a "C" average (2.00); for graduate students, it is a "B" average (3.00).

Satisfactory/No Credit Grades

A student in good standing may undertake courses on a Satisfactory/No Credit (S/NC) basis subject to the following limitations. The grade "S" will be awarded for work satisfactory for unit credit in meeting degree requirements. For undergraduates the requirement is a "C" average (2.00); for graduate students it is a "B" average (3.00). Units are assigned for courses graded "S," but it has no grade point equivalent and does not enter the GPA. Neither units nor grade points are assigned for an "NC" grade; the grade is recorded on the record card but does not enter the GPA.

Some graduate courses and some undergraduate courses may, in accordance with regulations, be designated for grading on an S/NC basis only. Graduate courses are letter graded unless the course description specifies otherwise. In certain preidentified graduate courses, the department may allow a third (residual) category in which a graduate student may elect to take a course on an S/NC basis, provided that the graduate advisor consents. (Graduate students must petition to take undergraduate courses outside their major on an S/NC basis, and may not take undergraduate courses in their major on an S/NC basis.) Students should consult the Graduate School of Education before electing courses on an S/NC basis to be used for a teaching credential.

Students enrolled in an undergraduate degree program may receive credit for courses undertaken and graded "S" on the UCR campus to a limit of one-third of the total units undertaken and passed on the Riverside campus at the time the degree is awarded. Units completed on another campus of the University by a Riverside undergraduate student enrolled as an intercampus visitor are considered Riverside work for the purposes of this regulation.

Courses which are required in or prerequisite to the undergraduate student's major subject may be taken on an S/NC basis only on approval of the chairperson of the student's department (or other primary instructional unit) in each individual case. A special status student or limited status student may take courses on an S/NC basis at the discretion of the dean of the school or college in which the student is enrolled. Courses in the X or XR300, X400, or 300 series are not subject to the one-third limitation on courses graded "S." For additional limitations on 300 and 400 series courses, see individual college sections in the Undergraduate Studies section of this catalog.

A student may elect "S/NC" or delete "S/NC" from a course by filing a petition with the Registrar. The deadline is the end of the eighth week of instruction and is listed each quarter in the Schedule of Classes.

Incomplete Grades

The grade "I" (incomplete) is a provisional grade which denotes that a student's work was of passing quality but incomplete for good cause. Units attempted are not charged for courses graded "I." The grade of "I" may be replaced if the work is completed as specified by the instructor prior to the end of the following quarter. When a course graded "I" has not been successfully completed after one additional quarter or by the time the student is ready to graduate, whichever is less, it will be replaced by a grade of "F," or by "NC" if the course were taken on an S/NC basis. The appropriate dean may extend the time for successful completion when he or she considers that circumstances warrant it, provided the request is received before the grade "I" is changed to "F" or "NC."

In Progress Grades

For certain courses extending over more than one term, where, by consent of the Academic Senate, evaluation of the student's performance may be deferred until the end of the final term, provisional grades of "IP" (in progress) shall be assigned in the intervening terms.

Neither units nor grade points shall be assigned for "IP" grades. The provisional grades shall be replaced by the final grade if the student completes the full sequence. In the event that the full sequence is not completed, the grade "IP" will be replaced by the grade "I," and further changes in the student's record will be subject to regulations governing the grade "I."

Workload Credit

Workload credit is given for UCR classes preparatory to regular University work. Currently this includes MATH 003 and BSWT 001, BSWT 002A-BSWT 002B, BSWT 003 and BSWT 003D. Workload credit does not carry units for graduation but does count as part of a student's academic course load and enrollment status.

Repetition of Courses

Repetition of courses not authorized to be taken more than once for credit is subject to the following conditions: A student may repeat only those courses in which a grade of "D," "F," or "NC" was received (except in the case of BSWT 001, BSWT 002A-BSWT 002B, BSWT 003, BSWT 003D or ENGL 001A, ENGL 001B, ENGL 001C or ENGL 01SC in which a grade of "C-" may be repeated). Courses in which a grade of "D" or "F" has been earned may not be repeated on an S/NC basis. Repetition of a course more than once requires approval by the appropriate dean in all instances. Degree credit for a course will be given only once. When a course is repeated, only the most recently earned grade shall be computed in the GPA, up to a total of 16 units of repeated UC course work. In the case of further repetitions, the GPA shall be based on all grades assigned and the total units attempted.

Students should be aware that some professional and graduate schools will count the grades for all courses, including those repeated later, in calculating a student's GPA. The GPA used by such schools could differ significantly from that shown on a student's UCR transcript.

The Department of Veterans Affairs will not consider toward full time those units which are a repeat of courses in which a grade of "D-" has been received, unless a higher grade in the course is specifically required for graduation. Contact Student Special Services, (909) 787-4218 for additional details.

Change of Grade

All grades except "I" and "IP" become final when they are assigned. No term grade may be revised by reexamination. No change of grade may be made on the basis of reassessment of the quality of a student's work. An instructor may approve and report to the Registrar a correction of a recorded course grade at any time if clerical or procedural error has been made in assigning, transmitting, or recording the original grade.

Procedures for the Appeal of Grades

The Regulations of the Riverside Division of the Academic Senate state that if a student believes that nonacademic criteria have been used in determining a grade, the student shall attempt to resolve the grievance with the instructor of the course through written appeal to the instructor via the chair of the department. If the grievance is not resolved to the student's satisfaction at the departmental level, the student may file a complaint with the dean of the college or school having jurisdiction over the course or with the dean of the Graduate Division if the student is in graduate status. The complaint should be filed immediately after the alleged use of nonacademic criteria but no later than six weeks after the beginning of the subsequent quarter. Nonacademic criteria are criteria not directly reflective of class performance, such as discrimination on political grounds or for reasons of race, religion, sex, or ethnic origin or for other arbitrary or personal reasons.

Final Examinations

The instructor in charge of an undergraduate course shall be responsible for assigning the final grade in the course. The final grade shall reflect the student's achievement in the course and shall be based upon adequate evaluation of that achievement. The instructor's methods of evaluation must be clearly announced during the progress of the course. Evaluation methods must be of reasonable duration and difficulty, and must be in accord with applicable departmental policies. The methods may include a final written examination, a term paper, a final oral examination, a take-home examination, or other evaluation device. If a final written examination is given, it shall not exceed three hours in duration and shall be given only at the time and place announced in the Schedule of Classes. No student shall be excused from assigned final examinations.

Backdating Units

Undergraduate students who have no more than two courses or 8 units of course work remaining to be completed in their program for the bachelor's degree at UCR and who have been approved for admission to graduate status may begin the course work for an advanced degree at the beginning of their final quarter of undergraduate study. The student must inform the college office prior to enrollment in course work. When students are registered in graduate status, they then petition for credit for the courses completed beyond those required for a bachelor's degree. The petition must be signed by the dean of the school or college, attesting to the fact that the student's deficiency was as stated, and the petition is subject to approval by the department and the dean of the Graduate Division.

Credit by Examination

Credit by examination may be earned in accordance with regulations established by each college. The student should consult the Undergraduate Studies section of this catalog for specific regulations.

A UCR student in residence may take examinations for degree credit in courses offered on the campus without formally enrolling in them. The results of the examinations are entered upon the student's record. There is a $5 service charge for each petition.

Undergraduate Credit for Graduate Courses

Students interested in obtaining undergraduate credit for graduate courses should contact the office of the dean of their college for further information.

Class Standing

Undergraduate classification is determined by the number of quarter units earned. Postbaccalaureate and graduate classifications are based on the student's academic objective and whether or not the student is advanced to candidacy for a doctorate.

Class Standing

Classification Completed Units
  Freshman 0-44.9
  Sophomore 45-89.9
  Junior 90-134.9
  Senior 135 or more
  Second Baccalaureate

Credential Programs
Medical Program

Doctoral 1 (not advanced to candidacy)
Doctoral 2 (advanced to candidacy)

Scholarship Regulations

Academic Standing

To remain in good academic standing a student must maintain a GPA of at least 2.00 and make progress toward the degree at a satisfactory rate.

Academic Probation

Students will be placed on academic probation if, at the end of any term, their GPA for the term is less than 2.00 but greater than 1.50, or their cumulative GPA, computed on the total of all courses undertaken in the University, is less than 2.00 ("C" average).

Academic Disqualification

Students are subject to disqualification from further registration in the University (a) if, at the end of any term, their GPA for that term is less than 1.50 or (b) if, after two terms on academic probation, their cumulative GPA, computed on the total of all courses undertaken in the University, is less than 2.00 ("C" average).

If, after one quarter on academic probation, the cause for probation has not been removed, Student Special Services is required to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA), and benefits may be terminated. Students who are allowed by the University to continue may file a request for resumption of benefits with Student Special Services.

Students who become subject to the provisions of this regulation will also be subject to such supervision as the faculty of their college may determine. The faculty may disqualify a student under its supervision from further registration in the University or, by suspending the provisions of this regulation, may permit a student subject to disqualification to remain in the University.

Undergraduate students who are disqualified are excluded from the University, and their connection with the University is presumed to be ended by such exclusion. Under certain circumstances, disqualified students may be readmitted upon their petition to the college and interview with the dean. Ordinarily, students will not be readmitted until after the lapse of a year and unless their deficiencies are reparable within a reasonable period of time. During the period of disqualification, a student must give evidence of conduct which indicates that improved academic performance can be expected upon readmission. If readmitted, students must remove their deficiencies through above-average work undertaken in the University. It is usually required that all deficiencies be removed during the first year after readmission.

In order to transfer from one campus of the University to another, or from one college to another on the same campus, students who have been disqualified or who are on probation must obtain the approval of the appropriate dean to whose jurisdiction transfer is sought. Upon completion of the transfer, the students are subject to such supervision as the faculty of their college may determine.

Graduate students must maintain an average of at least three grade points per unit in all upper-division and graduate courses taken for letter grade during residence at the University of California. Only courses in which the student is assigned grades "A," "B," or "C," or equivalent, may be counted in satisfaction of the requirements for the master's degree. Graduate students who acquire scholarship deficiencies are subject to action by the dean of the Graduate Division.

Programs for Outstanding Students

Departments of the colleges offer and administer various courses and honors programs for specially prepared, outstanding students. In some departments, equivalent special studies and seminar programs have been designed for students with special aptitudes. Interested students should consult their faculty advisors early for details of the program in their major department.


Chancellor's Honor List

Students who are placed on the dean's honor list for all three quarters in a single academic year (fall, winter, and spring) will be placed on the Chancellor's Honor List for that academic year.

Dean's Honor List

Any student who in any quarter completes a minimum of 12 units with letter grades, with no grade in any course below a "B," and who has a GPA of 3.50 or better for all work undertaken in the University for that quarter, will be placed on the Dean's Honor List.

Graduation with Honors

The Academic Senate has established the following standards for award of honors at graduation: No more than the top 2 percent (by GPA) in the June graduating class shall receive highest honors. No more than the next 4 percent of graduating students shall receive high honors, and no more than the next 10 percent shall receive honors. To be eligible for honors at graduation, a student must have completed 60 or more quarter units of graded courses at the University of California. The GPAs used to determine class rank shall be based on courses taken at the University of California.

Students may obtain a statement of the specific requirements for graduation with honors from the office of the dean of their college.

University Honors Program

For a description of the University Honors Program, see Supplementary Education Programs in the front of this catalog. For a listing of requirements and courses, refer to University Honors Program in the Curricula and Courses section of this catalog.