Graduate Student Association
Degrees and Programs
Special Programs
Fees and Expenses
Financial Support
Graduate School of Education
Graduate School of Management

Graduate students at UCR are an essential part of the university’s distinguished research teams and full partners in the undergraduate teaching mission of the faculty. Founded as a research institution in 1907, Riverside is the oldest of the UC’s southern campuses. UCR combines the intellectual and material resources of the UC system with a uniquely intimate research environment, fostering a type of frequent and high-powered faculty-student contact unavailable at other universities.

Graduate degrees at UCR are research degrees, certifying that students are trained in the techniques of independent inquiry and have demonstrated the capacity to make unique contributions to their fields. Occupying a distinctive niche in disciplines ranging from chemistry to dance history, nematology to economics, UCR offers graduate programs leading to the degrees of doctor of philosophy, master of arts, master of education, master of fine arts, master of science, and master of business administration.


Campus policies concerning graduate education are set by the Graduate Council, a committee of the Academic Senate, and carried out by the Graduate Division staff under the direction of the Graduate Dean.

In addition, each program has a graduate advisor appointed by the Graduate Dean. Advisors assist students in program planning and completing degree requirements and write a yearly evaluation of each student’s progress toward the degree. Students should make an effort to confer regularly with their graduate advisor.

Graduate Student Association

All graduate students are members of the Graduate Student Association (GSA), which seeks to represent their views and promote their interests with the faculty and administration, both at the campus level and universitywide. For a more detailed description of GSA activities and services, call (951) 827-3740. Further information can also be found under Graduate Student Association in the Services for Students section of this catalog, or e-mail

Application and Admission

The minimum requirement for admission to graduate status is the bachelor’s degree or its academic equivalent from an accredited institution.

Applicants should apply at

In general, students who wish to be considered for fellowships, teaching or research assistantships, and other merit-based forms of support should contact departments directly. The application deadline for students seeking admission and fellowship awards is January 5.

Since general application deadlines for the fall quarter may vary somewhat, applicants should not hesitate to contact departments directly for additional information. Campuswide application deadlines for domestic students are September 1 for the winter quarter, December 1 for the spring quarter, and May 1 for the fall quarter.

A nonrefundable application fee must accompany all applications: domestic applicants (U.S. citizens and permanent residents), $60; foreign applicants (nonimmigrant), $75. The following must also be submitted:

1.   Two copies of official transcripts from each college or university attended since high school

2.   Three letters of recommendation

3.   Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test score is required by most programs

Some programs also require the appropriate GRE subject test. GRE scores are not required for the Education credential programs, and the M.B.A. program requires the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) in lieu of the GRE. Test scores should be no older than five years.

The admission process has as its prime objective the selection of those students most likely to complete their chosen graduate programs with distinction. After consultation between the program and the Graduate Division, the final authority to admit rests with the Graduate Dean.

Applicants are initially reviewed and rated based on their overall undergraduate and, where appropriate, postbaccalaureate GPAs. However, the evaluation process is intended to be flexible, and departments take a variety of other factors into consideration, including GRE or other test scores, GPA in the major subject, letters of recommendation, and the reputation of the degree-granting program or institution.

Soon after the department forwards its recommendation to the Graduate Division, the applicant is notified in writing of the dean’s decision. If admission is offered with work still in progress, official transcripts reflecting the satisfactory completion of this work and the awarding of the degree (where appropriate) must be submitted as soon as possible.

An offer of admission is valid for a specific quarter only. Accepted students who wish to be admitted for a subsequent quarter must reapply and, if additional course work has been completed, submit updated transcripts. Students are entitled to reapply once within one year without submitting a new application fee.

International Student Admissions

International students follow the same procedures and are governed by the same regulations as domestic applicants with the following exceptions.

International applicants and permanent residents whose native language is not English must score a minimum of 550 on the written Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and 213 on the computer-based version of the same exam. Applicants should arrange to take the examination in their home country by contacting the following: 

Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08540-6151

The date of this test may be no more than two years from the intended quarter of admission.

International students must also complete a financial statement (provided with the application packet) and return it with the application. The university will be unable to issue a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS2019) without evidence of the applicant’s ability to pay all fees and expenses for the duration of the program of study.

Application deadlines for international students are February 1 for the fall quarter, July 1 for the winter quarter, and October 1 for the spring quarter. The application fee for international students is $75.

The International Services Center specializes in providing information and a broad range of services to international students and can be contacted at (951) 827-4113.

Teaching Credential Programs

Prospective applicants to teaching credential programs should contact the Graduate School of Education, (951) 827-5225 for admission information and application material or see Graduate School of Education later in this catalog.

Degrees and Programs

The minimum requirements for UC Riverside master’s and doctor of philosophy degrees are outlined below. Academic departments and programs may impose further requirements, described in the Programs and Courses section of this catalog. Additional information is available in brochures that can be obtained directly from departments and programs.

Foreign Language Requirement

Each program determines what, if any, knowledge of a foreign language or languages should be required of students pursuing graduate degrees. Proficiency in a foreign language may be demonstrated by (1) passing a written examination administered by the department or program or (2) successfully completing a course in the language at whatever level is specified by the program.

With the support of the program and the approval of the graduate dean, students may receive credit for foreign language examinations or course work completed not more than four years before being admitted to graduate study at UCR.

Standards of Scholarship

Only courses in which grades of “A,” “B,” “C,” or “S” are received may be counted toward satisfying graduate degree requirements. To continue in good standing and obtain an advanced degree, students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.00. In addition, students must demonstrate acceptable progress toward their degree objectives. This entails the acceptable completion of all course work and other degree requirements in a timely fashion.

Students are considered to be making unacceptable progress and become subject to dismissal when

1.   They have 12 or more units of “I” grades (incomplete course work) outstanding

2.   The overall GPA falls below 3.00

3.   The quarterly GPA falls below 3.00 for two consecutive quarters

4.   They fail to fulfill program requirements such as examinations or research in a timely and satisfactory manner, or

5.   They have not completed their programs within one year after reaching the normative time (discussed below).

Master’s Degree

The minimum academic residence in the UC is three quarters, two of which must be spent at the Riverside campus.

Unless otherwise stated in the program description, the normative time required to complete the master’s degree is two years.

The master’s degree can generally be earned in one of two ways: by writing a thesis or by passing a comprehensive examination. Some programs offer only one of these options.

Both plans require a minimum of 36 quarter units of graduate or upper-division undergraduate work in the major subject or some other subject deemed relevant by the program faculty.

Plan I (Thesis) requires that at least 24 of the required units be in graduate-level courses taken at a campus of the UC. Of these, only 12 may be in graduate research for the thesis (courses numbered 297 or 299). In addition to requiring an acceptable thesis, the department may require any examination that it feels necessary to confirm that the student has an appropriate knowledge of the discipline.

Plan II (Comprehensive Examination) requires that at least 18 units be in graduate-level courses taken at a UC campus. None of these may be in courses numbered 297 or 299. Every candidate must take a comprehensive examination, the content of which is determined by the department or program.

Master’s students in residence and in good standing may earn course credit by examination. Consult the departmental graduate advisor for further details.

Advancement to Candidacy in Master’s Program

Students must file for advancement to candidacy no later than the third week of the quarter in which they expect to receive their degree, and their program may include work in progress at that time. The forms for advancement to candidacy are obtained from and filed in the Graduate Division after obtaining the graduate advisor’s approval. In the event of some unexpected delay, students have up to one year from the completion date of all course requirements to complete their remaining academic requirements.

Duplication of Degree

Permission to work for a second master’s degree may be approved when there is little relation in content between the two degrees. Duplication of a master’s degree in a single field is not permitted, and duplication of a doctorate is rarely permitted, regardless of the field of study.

Continuing from the Master’s to the Doctorate

Students who are enrolled in a master’s program may petition to pursue the doctorate in their field of study. To do so, they should file a Change in Degree Objective Form with the Graduate Division while they are enrolled. Approval by the department is not automatic; the department determines whether or not each student has the academic potential to succeed in its Ph.D. program. This requirement for evaluating each student’s potential and academic fitness to proceed toward the Ph.D. is enforced regardless of what the student’s initial degree objective was at matriculation.

Doctoral Degree

The minimum academic residence for the Ph.D. is six quarters in the UC, three of which must be spent in continuous residence at UCR.

The normative time required for the Ph.D. varies considerably and is given at the end of each program’s description in the Programs and Courses section of this catalog. For the doctoral degree, normative time is defined as the period of full-time registration required to earn the degree, assuming that the student enters with a bachelor’s degree and is assigned no course deficiencies or other remedial work. For most UCR programs, this falls between five and seven years.

The doctorate, the highest degree the university can bestow, is a research degree, conferred on the recommendation of a doctoral committee, which is nominated in consultation with the student by the program faculty and confirmed by the Graduate Dean.

Because the Ph.D. is a research degree, the university gives programs considerable latitude in establishing degree requirements. The individual student’s program of study is planned in consultation with the graduate advisor, who supervises the student’s progress prior to the appointment of the doctoral committee. A doctoral program generally involves two stages.

The first stage is spent fulfilling the requirements established by the program or department and the Graduate Council, typically a series of courses culminating in written and oral qualifying examinations. When these are passed, the student is advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D.

The second, or in-candidacy stage, is devoted primarily to independent study and research and to the preparation of the dissertation. The doctoral dissertation must be an original work of research in the candidate’s chosen field of specialization. The doctoral committee determines the acceptability of the dissertation and may require that the student defend its contents in a final oral examination.

Candidate in Philosophy

A Ph.D. student who is advanced to candidacy and has to leave UCR without a degree may apply for the Candidate in Philosophy, awarded only to students leaving UCR without a master’s or doctoral degree. The Candidate in Philosophy means that the student is advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D.

Special Programs

Teaching Assistant Development Program

UCR has a long history as a distinguished teaching campus and regards teaching assistant (TA) training as a crucial part of graduate instruction. The Teaching Assistant Development Program (TADP) sponsors activities designed to help TAs develop their teaching skills and to prepare them to be successful professors. Activities include a fall orientation program, pre-quarter and in-quarter workshops for new TAs, videotaping of classroom presentations and expert feedback, end-of-term student evaluations, annual awards for outstanding TAs, and a mentor TA program, in which TAs of proven ability have the opportunity to mentor their less experienced colleagues.

Intercampus Exchange

The Intercampus Exchange Program (ICE) allows students to study for up to three quarters at another campus of the UC. To be eligible, students must be in good standing with at least one quarter in residence at UCR and demonstrate at least one of the following: the need to take a course or courses not offered at UCR, the need to study with a particular individual, or the need for continuous access to library holdings or other facilities not available at UCR.

Education Abroad

The Education Abroad Program (EAP) provides students with the opportunity to study abroad at one of several study centers. To be eligible, students should have completed one year of graduate study, be making acceptable progress toward the degree, and know the language of the host country. Applications and information can be obtained from the International Services Center. Additional information can also be found in the Education Abroad Program sections of this catalog.

Fees and Expenses

See Fees and Expenses under the Finances and Registration section of this catalog for a list of estimated expenses and a schedule of mandatory quarterly fees. Deadlines for paying fees are published quarterly at

Graduate students appointed as teaching assistants or graduate student researchers (GSRs) appointed at 25 percent or more time qualify for a remission of the educational and registration fees. Nonresident tuition is paid for nonresident GSRs who are appointed 45 percent time for an academic term, are not receiving any other form of support which pays the nonresident tuition, and who meet the eligibility requirements for the GSR title. Students should check with their departments for further information on these fee remissions.

All students who are considered nonresidents for tuition purposes and are advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D. on or before the first day of instruction, will receive a reduction of 75 percent of the nonresident tuition. Students are assessed 25 percent of the prevailing nonresident tuition fee on their student bills. Each student is eligible for this reduced nonresident tuition rate a maximum of three calendar years. Time spent not registered (withdrawn, on leave, or filing fee status) will count toward the three-year total unless the Graduate Dean grants an exception. A student must be advanced by the first day of instruction to qualify for that term.

All graduate students are assessed a quarterly fee (Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan–GSHIP) for a health insurance policy providing year-round and worldwide coverage. This insurance is designed to supplement outpatient care available to students through the Campus Health Center. This premium is paid for all teaching assistants, graduate student researchers, and readers/tutors employed 25 percent time (10 hours per week) or more. Students who can demonstrate to the Campus Health Center that they have comparable insurance from another source may obtain an exemption from the GSHIP premium. Deadlines for applying for the exemption are firm.

Information regarding Graduate Student Health Insurance benefits, claims, comparable coverage exemptions, and optional dependent coverage can be obtained from the Health Insurance Coordinator, Campus Health Center (951) 827-5683. More information about GSHIP remissions for teaching assistants and graduate student researchers is available from the Graduate Division, or a student’s academic program.

Students who have not established legal residency in California must pay nonresident tuition. Regulations governing the determination of California residency are outlined in the Finances and Registration section of this catalog.

The Deferred Payment Plan offers students an opportunity to pay their fees in three monthly installments. An application and fee must be submitted by the deadline set by the Student Business Services office. Students must apply each quarter. Applications can be obtained from the Student Business Services office, 2148 Hinderaker Hall, (951) 827-2346 or at

Financial Support


Fellowships are awarded on the basis of scholarly achievement and promise. Students apply to their prospective programs, which then nominate the most qualified applicants. Recipients must complete a full-time program of study or research each quarter, maintain a GPA of 3.50 or better, have no more than 7 units of “Incomplete” grades, be advanced to candidacy for the Ph.D. within 12 quarters after entry (unless the award letter specifies a different date), and be making acceptable progress toward their degrees. Fellowships are offered only to full-time students pursuing degrees. Thus, credential and nondegree objective students are not eligible for fellowships.

Fellowship applications are considered once a year, in the winter quarter, and awards are made for the following academic year. Applications for admission that include requests for fellowships should be completed and submitted by January 5 (earlier when specified by the program).

Fellowship holders may supplement their awards with employment, with the prior approval of the Graduate Dean. Supplementation levels vary with type and amount of fellowship award.

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal Application must be completed by all domestic graduate students and continuing international students who receive and accept any fellowship or grant from their department or from the Graduate Division. These awards are based on academic merit, but may be paid from a variety of funding sources, some of which require financial data. In order to use available resources to the maximum benefit of all graduate students, this information is required. It does not affect the amount of merit-based support awarded.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Graduate students may be employed by the university on a part-time basis (not to exceed 50 percent time or 20 hours per week) during the academic year. Students who hold assistantships must register for and complete a full program of study or research and remain in good standing for the duration of their employment. Students are responsible for reviewing their course enrollment to ensure that they are enrolled in at least 12 units. They may not have more than 7 units of “Incomplete” grades and must be advanced to candidacy within 12 quarters after entry to the Ph.D. program.

For the 2005-2006 academic year, 50 percent time teaching assistantships provide a salary of $4,786 per quarter. TAs are appointed through their departments and must maintain a GPA of 3.25 or better and be making acceptable progress toward their degree. No one may serve in teaching title codes (TA, Fellow, Associate In) for more than 18 quarters.

Any student whose native language is not English must pass a test of spoken English (SPEAK test) before performing TA duties.

For the 2005-2006 academic year, the salary for research assistantships at 49 percent time ranges from $3,940 to $4,720 per quarter. Graduate student researchers (GSRs) can also be paid on a full-time basis for up to three months during the summer. To be appointed to and retained as a GSR, students must maintain a GPA of 3.00 or better and be making acceptable progress toward the degree. GSR appointments are made through the department or program.

Need-Based Aid

All grant funding available to graduate students is administered through the Graduate Division. Students should contact their graduate department for more information. Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are available to graduate students through the Financial Aid Office. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office or check for a FAFSA if they want to be considered for these federal loan funds.

Research Grants

Dissertation Research Grants provide funds to doctoral candidates for research-related expenses associated with the dissertation. Applicants must be advanced to candidacy and plan to be registered during the period of the award. Proposals may be funded up to a maximum of $1,000. Applications are available at

Humanities Graduate Student Research Grants provide funds to assist students doing original research or creative projects in the humanities or in interdisciplinary areas involving the humanities. Awards vary and are granted up to a maximum of $1,500. Applications are available at

The Intercampus Research Opportunity Fund assists with travel, living expenses, and the research costs of doctoral candidates whose research or study requires the use of another campus’ resources. Applicants must be advanced to candidacy. Applications are available in the Office of the Academic Senate.

Graduate Student Association Minigrants help to meet the financial needs of students who have been invited to present scholarly papers or posters at regional and national professional conferences. The program, administered by the Graduate Student Association, funds both conference attenders and presenters, with attenders reimbursed at one half the rate of presenters. The percentage of reimbursement is set monthly and is based on the volume of Minigrant applications received.

Registration, Enrollment and Transfer of Credit

Continuous Registration

Unless a leave of absence has been granted, students are expected to register for every academic quarter once their graduate studies begin. Students must either be registered or on filing fee status in the quarter in which the degree is actually awarded.

Filing Fee Status

Students who have completed all degree requirements except for filing their dissertations/theses or sitting for their master’s comprehensive examinations are eligible for filing fee status during the final quarter of residence. For students writing dissertations or theses, the student’s committee must have read and approved a draft of the manuscript, with only minor revisions needing to be made.

Students on filing fee status pay only one-half of the registration fee. Because filing fee status is tied to the registration fee, it can vary from quarter to quarter. See for information on fees. Only one quarter on filing fee status is allowed, unless a student fails the master’s comprehensive exam. Then a retake of the exam on filing fee status is allowed. Students who fail to complete their degree programs must register and pay full fees for the following quarter.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence is intended to allow the temporary interruption of the student’s academic program. Leaves are granted for the following reasons:

1.   Serious illness or other temporary disability

2.   The need to concentrate on a job or occupation not directly related to the degree program

3.   Family responsibilities

4. When the student’s research requires absence from campus for the entire quarter. For a research leave, the student’s dissertation or thesis advisor must provide a justification letter.

To be eligible for a leave of absence, students must have the approval of their graduate advisors, be in good standing, and have been enrolled for at least one quarter. Leaves are not normally granted for more than one year.

Since students on leave do not pay fees, they may not use university facilities or make demands on faculty time. Students on leave are ineligible for fellowships, research grants, and financial aid. Appointment as a graduate student researcher or teaching assistant, or any other appointment requiring full-time enrollment, is not possible. Nor can students on leave take qualifying examinations or receive credit for academic work done during the leave period.

In Absentia Registration

Students pursuing graduate study or research outside the state of California for an entire quarter may register in absentia and receive a 50 percent reduction in the registration fee. There is no reduction in the educational fee or other applicable fees. Refer to the Finances and Registration section of this catalog for a schedule of fees. In absentia registrants are normally advanced to candidacy for the doctorate or be writing a master’s thesis.


Students who withdraw — for whatever reason — during the first five weeks of a quarter are entitled to a partial refund of fees. The amount of the refund is determined by the number of calendar days elapsed between the first day of instruction and the date on which a withdrawal form is filed with the Graduate Division. See the Schedule of Refunds in the Finances and Registration section of this catalog. Students who have applied for the Deferred Payment Plan are considered registered students and are held to the same refund schedule.

Students who are unable to file the necessary paperwork due to illness or emergency should call the Graduate Division at (951) 827-3315.

Lapse of Candidacy

Candidacy for the degree may be lapsed after withdrawing or failing to register at the end of a leave of absence.

If three years or more have passed since advancement to candidacy for the Ph.D., candidacy status will be determined in consultation between the Graduate Dean and the department. If five years have elapsed between advancement to candidacy and readmission, candidacy will normally be withdrawn. In that case the student may be held for another set of written and/or oral qualifying examinations leading to advancement to candidacy. In addition, students will be responsible for all appropriate fees.


Each quarter, graduate students must pay their fees and enroll by the date indicated at Course schedules require the prior approval of the departmental graduate advisor.

All graduate students are expected to carry a full academic course load unless good reasons exist for not doing so. Graduate students are considered to be full time if they are carrying 12 graduate units. When a course program contains both graduate and undergraduate courses, the table on this page is used to calculate the appropriate course load.

Part-Time Study

Full Academic Program
Graduate Units plus Units
0   16
1   15
2   13
3   12
4   11
5   9
6   8
7   7
8   5
9   4
10   3
11   1
12   0

In some programs, half-time study (6 units or fewer) is possible. Half-time status is only approved for students who cannot attend full-time for reasons of occupation (full-time employment outside the university), unusual family responsibilities, or poor health. Students should file petitions for half-time status with the Graduate Division.

Transfer of Credit

A maximum of 8 quarter units from institutions outside the UC may be counted towards the master’s degree at UCR. All transfer work must have been completed in graduate standing with a minimum grade of “B.” Units cannot be transferred if the student earned a degree. These units may not be used to reduce the minimum number of graduate level units required. Department and Graduate Division approval must be obtained before these units can be accepted for credit. Grades are transferred as “Satisfactory” (S), with no GPA value.

For doctoral students, transfer credit is determined by the department and approved by the Graduate Dean.

UCR undergraduates who have no more than two courses or 8 units of course work remaining in their bachelor’s programs and who have been admitted to graduate status may begin course work for their advanced degrees at the beginning of the final quarter of undergraduate study. Backdating units from undergraduate status requires that students inform their college offices before beginning course work and that they petition the Graduate Division for credit once they are enrolled as graduate students.

Students may apply summer sessions course work from any UC campus toward their graduate degree requirements if they have the prior approval of their departments and of the Graduate Dean.

Units from another UC campus may be used to satisfy one of the three quarters of the residence requirement and may be counted for up to one-half of the total units required for the UCR master’s degree. Department and Graduate Division approval must be obtained before such units can be accepted for credit.

Graduate School of Education

Student Affairs:
1124 Sproul Hall
(951) 827-5225; fax (951) 827-3942

Degrees and Credentials

The Graduate School of Education offers credential programs for students preparing for careers in elementary, middle school, and high school teaching; teaching in classrooms for individuals with mild/moderate or moderate/severe disabilities; and administrative service in public schools. The programs prepare students to teach English learners and students from diverse backgrounds. The school offers a combined credential and masters program (M.Ed.), whereby students complete requirements for a California teaching credential and a master’s degree in one academic year and a summer term. It also offers M.A. and Ph.D. programs in Curriculum and Instruction, Special Education, Educational Administration, Educational Psychology, Special Education, and School Psychology. The M.A. in School Psychology is offered in combination with a Pupil Personnel Services Credential for School Psychology.

Students planning to enter teaching credential programs should first visit the Teacher Education Web site at or obtain a general information packet available from the Teacher Education Services Office, 1124 Sproul Hall. Students should then attend a Credential Information Seminar offered by the Teacher Education Services Office, 1124 Sproul Hall, preferably during the first quarter of their junior year. Seminar information is provided online. At the seminar students receive information about credentialing and specific programs offered by UCR. In addition, participants will receive instructions on how to fill out the application and may ask questions.

Candidates for admission to credential programs must have completed a major other than education and must have passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). Students must also submit verification of having met subject matter proficiency, by either passing a state-approved exam or an approved subject-matter program. All candidates for a multiple subject credential must pass the Multiple Subjects, California Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET).

In addition, students who contemplate adding the Bilingual Cross-cultural Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) Emphasis in Spanish must pass the Spanish Proficiency Test. Further information can be found under Education in the Programs and Courses section of this catalog.

Graduate Study

Curricula are offered through the Graduate School of Education for the M.A., M.Ed. and Ph.D. degrees. These programs require broad training in education and in a cognate field of study. Further information can be found under Education in the Programs and Courses section of this catalog or visit The Graduate Degree Program Office offers monthly information sessions. Check the Web site for specific dates.

Teaching Credential Programs

Students planning to become teachers can qualify at UCR for the following teaching and specialist credentials:

•   Multiple Subject (elementary)

•   Single Subject (secondary)

•   Education Specialist Instruction Credentials in Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe Disabilities

Internships are available in all the credential programs.

Students have the option of adding a Bilingual Cross-cultural Language Academic Development (BCLAD) Emphasis in Spanish. The BCLAD Emphasis in Spanish is available only in multiple subject programs.

Administrative Services Credential Programs

The Graduate School of Education is authorized by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing to offer a program qualifying students for the Preliminary and Professional Administrative Services credentials. Programs leading to these credentials are generally coordinated with an advanced degree in educational administration.

For more information on credential or M.Ed. programs, visit, call (951) 827-5225, or contact Teacher Education, 1124 Sproul Hall. For information on graduate degree programs or the administrative services credential, visit, call (951) 827-5990, or contact the Graduate Degree Program Office, 1124 Sproul Hall.

The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management

Student Affairs:
A. Gary Anderson Hall
(951) 827-4551; fax (951) 827-3970

Mission Statement

The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management (AGSM) is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in substantive scholarly research enhancing the world’s base of knowledge about organizations, their environments, and their management, and to the transmission of this knowledge through quality educational programs to students, alumni, business managers, and the public. The AGSM is accredited by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

Master of Business Administration Program

The AGSM offers a professional graduate program leading to the Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree. The program is offered both on the UCR campus and at the Heckmann International Center for Entrepreneurial Management on UCR’s campus in Palm Desert, CA.

The M.B.A. curriculum on the Riverside campus balances the art and science of management, with a particular emphasis on managing through information, and recognizes the global context of management. The first-year core courses of the two-year M.B.A. program provide a strong integrated foundation in the common body of knowledge for management. Thereafter, students take 28 to 36 units of electives offered in various fields, and complete a required internship, capstone course, and a thesis or case analysis. In addition to regularly scheduled course work during the day, course work is offered in the evening to permit career professionals to pursue an M.B.A. degree on a part-time basis.

The M.B.A. program at the Heckmann Center is a full-time, 21-month-long cohort program focused on entrepreneurial management and is an academic partnership among world-class academic faculty, successful entrepreneurs and executives, and industry partners. Students complete graduate courses taught by AGSM faculty and also are exposed to, and mentored by, major executives, and entrepreneurs who have built and managed significant successful businesses, large and small. The program accepts applications for the fall quarter only.

The M.B.A. program is open to eligible students from all undergraduate majors. Quantitative methods is a prerequisite to the program. Qualified students who have not taken this prerequisite course may be admitted but must meet this requirement during their first two quarters in residence.


Admission requirements for the program are similar to requirements for the Graduate Division. In addition to transcripts, applicants should submit test scores from the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) and three letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about the applicant’s academic ability and potential for success in the program.

Undergraduate Program in Business Administration

The AGSM and the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences jointly offer an upper-division major in Business Administration intended for students who seek a professional education in the functional fields of private sector management. Students who elect the premajor receive advising in the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences during their freshman and sophomore years; after admission to the major, students are advised by the AGSM. In addition to administering the program, the AGSM also teaches courses in the functional areas of management such as finance, accounting, human resources management, marketing, and management information systems. The B.S. degree in Business Administration is awarded by the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences.

Certificate in Management

This certificate is awarded jointly by the AGSM and UCR Extension. Satisfactory completion (with a grade of “B” or better) of six courses (plus prerequisite courses, if required) is necessary to earn the certificate. Certificate students complete five required core courses in Management and select one elective by arrangement with the AGSM.

Classes are taught by regular UCR faculty members and are scheduled on the UCR campus both during the day and in the evenings. Permission of the course instructor and the graduate advisor of the AGSM is required before final registration. Students may use the enrollment form inside the back cover of the Extension catalog to mail in their enrollment, or they may enroll in person at the Extension Office. For further information, write to the Coordinator of Certificate Programs, UCR Extension, Riverside, CA 92521-0112, or phone (951) 827-4112.

Executive Education

In addition to its M.B.A. program, the AGSM offers management training programs for executives, managers, administrators, and other profession-als in the private and public sectors. These programs seek to further the professional development of people in management by exposing them to the most recent trends, ideas, and techniques in the field. Many of these programs do not have formal educational prerequisites, since the AGSM is more interested in a candidate's experience record and potential to benefit from the program. These programs are offered as certificate programs, and workshops of shorter duration. Contact AGSM for further information on current offerings